Entry-level PharmD students are required to have the following to meet the University of Florida College of Pharmacy computer requirements:
All entering students must have a computer meeting minimum University of Florida and College of Pharmacy (COP) requirements as noted below. Students are highly encouraged to purchase extended warranties and accidental coverage.
Recommended Hardware Minimum
- Intel i3, i5, i7 processor or AMD equivalent
- 4 GB RAM
- 250GB Hard Drive
- USB port(s)
- 10/100 Ethernet Adapter and WiFi 802.11 b or g
- Computer headset
- Access to a printer
- Windows based laptops should be purchased with a TPM (trusted platform module) – contact the manufacturer or retailer about a TPM
|Operating System||Recommended Edition|
|Windows 10||Professional or Education includes BitLocker encryption (see below)|
|Mac OS X||Yosemite or higher; OS X includes Filevault encryption (see below)|
|Windows 8 or 8.1||Professional includes BitLocker encryption (see below)|
|Windows 7||Ultimate includes BitLocker encryption (see below)|
Keep Windows updated and patched.
Keep OS X updated and patched.
Additional software may be required for individual classes.
- Microsoft Office 2013 or greater (Microsoft Office 365 is free for UF Students)
- Alternative Browsers: Mozilla Firefox and/or Google Chrome
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Any update-to-date Anti-virus Software – UF recommends the following free anti-virus: Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast for Macintosh
- Anti-malware software
A broadband internet connection, defined as Cable Modem, DSL, or Satellite, is required for all students.
Whole Disk Encryption
Incoming students are required to encrypt the hard drives on their personal laptops. Encryption helps to prevent unauthorized access of the data stored on your computer. This is necessary if your computer houses any Restricted data, which may occur during clinical rotations. Please check out our Student Encryption Guide for more information on how to encrypt your computer.
Please note: HSC and COP IT will not provide technical support for your encryption software purchase. Please contact the software manufacturer. If you are new to computers or whole disk encryption we highly advise the purchase of a commercially available product where the vendor will be able to assist with the installation of their software.
WINDOWS LAPTOP owners: Windows Vista & 7 (Ultimate and Enterprise editions), Windows 8 & 8.1 (Pro and Enterprise editions), and Windows 10 (Pro & Education) includes BitLocker drive encryption.
APPLE LAPTOP owners: To satisfy the whole disk encryption requirement you may use FileVault. This program should be part of your operating system when you purchased your laptop. It can be found under the security section of system preferences.
Additional Security Tips
We expect our incoming pharmacy students to educate themselves and have a raised awareness of the need to secure their laptops in the Health Science Center computing environment. For more information, please visit https://security.ufl.edu/students/
- Never store restricted information (patient name, social security number, address, phone, date of birth, drivers license number, maiden name, credit card number, etc) on removable media such as thumb disks, memory sticks, or cd’s
- Never put restricted information in email or in an instant messages
- Never leave laptops or mobile devices unattended and unlocked, not even for a minute; they are highly desirable and very easy to steal
- Use a strong password (min 8 chars and contains at least 1 letter, 1 number, 1 capital, 1 lower case, and 1 special character) on your computer that cannot be easily guessed (don’t use personal information such as your birthday or family names)
- Ensure you have set an inactivity timeout on your computer so it automatically locks (requiring your password to unlock)
- Always wear your Gator 1 ID badge at all times; it helps us determine when someone else is in a place they should not be
- Your computer activity is tracked by HSC IT services
- We STRONGLY discourage Pharmacy students from using Peer 2 Peer software on their laptops (please refer to the bullet above)
- Register your mobile devices with the UF Police Department – Operation Identification. Also install the UFPD app, Gator Safe, for alerts and tips on campus safety.
Recommended Tablet – NOT REQUIRED
A tablet is NOT required but if you decide to purchase a tablet to use as a supplemental or back-up device, the recommended tablet is any iPad capable of running iOS 9 or higher.